Jonathan S. Berck has been a practicing attorney since 1986.
He has practiced in numerous fields, including intellectual property, joint ventures, government relations, litigation and project finance, and in industries as diverse as real estate, oil and gas, art, insurance, life settlements, telecommunications, agriculture and banking.
Jon has been based in Washington, Frankfurt and London, representing foreign and domestic clients in jurisdictions as diverse as the U.S., Kazakhstan and Kenya, to name a few.
- Arnold & Porter, Washington, D.C.
- Pünder Volhard & Weber, Frankfurt, Germany
- Shearman & Sterling, Washington, D.C. and Frankfurt, Germany
- Latham & Watkins, London
- International Finance Corporation (World Bank Group), Washington, D.C.
He has also served as a consultant to JP Morgan Chase’s Project and Structured Finance department.
Jon opened his own firm, Jonathan S. Berck, LLC, in Manhattan in the fall of 2003 and added a Beacon office at the end of 2017.
- University of Alabama School of Law, Tuscaloosa: International Business Transactions, International Trade, Public International Law and Immigration Law
- University of Fribourg, Switzerland: International Business Transactions
- Harvard Law School: J.D. cum laude
- Columbia University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences: M.A. in European History
- University of Tübingen, Germany: Fulbright Scholarship
- Swarthmore College: B.A. with Highest Honors
- New York
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- England & Wales (Solicitor)
- Germany (US law only)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- English (native)
- German (fluent)
In addition to his legal practice, Jon is an avid guitar and bass enthusiast, collector, and amateur musician.